Staff Accountant - A/P
Position Title: Property Accountant - A/P (Full-time, non-exempt)
Reports to: Controller
Wage: Commensurate with experience
A new position is available with our established and growing property management company at our lower downtown office. The primary focus of this position will be to maintain the overall integrity of financial records for a portfolio of real estate communities including retail, mixed-use and residential properties. On-going responsibilities include processing accounts payable, filings, reconciliations and supports other staff members who contribute to the financial process. Successful candidates must be detail oriented with the capability to maintain multiple deadlines.
Key Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
1. Create an environment of comfortable hospitality for teammates, owners and tenants. Maintain a positive "open door" communications policy with all staff members.
2. Maintain confidential nature of all information that is not of a public nature.
3. Independently research and resolve problems with vendor statements, owner inquiries, and software difficulties.
4. Contributes beyond the stated job description with additional responsibilities, which may include bank reconciliations and financial statement preparation
5. Willingness to learn new things, take on additional responsibilities and suggest/implement change as needed to the AP process to create efficiencies.
1. Processes high volume of accounts payable for busy, growing portfolio of East West Urban Management managed associations and properties, to include residential, mixed-use and commercial properties.
2. Reviews and verifies that all invoices have been properly approved and coded for payment, including various split structures.
3. Verifies that invoices have not been previously recorded or paid.
4. Enters invoices into the financial systems ensuring that image is properly retained or invoice is filed for future reference
5. Reconciles vendor statements and respond to vendor inquiries, following up until resolved.
6. Prepares, obtains signatures for, and distributes checks.
7. Prepares bill backs of invoices for split payable items as necessary.
8. Complete assigned balance sheet account reconciliations as part of the monthly close of accounts payable.
9. Maintain organized AP records, including proper COI and W9 information
10. Prepare required local lodging, sales and use tax filings.
11. Maintain information for and prepare vendor 1099 filings.
12. Prepare title company closing status statements
13. Prepare informational reports as requested
14. Ability to consistently and accurately meet deadline requirements of both our company and our clients
15. Must be able to effectively prioritize workload/time constraints in order to meet deadline requirements
16. Adept in practical accounting skills and concepts, including journal entries, GL analysis, Balance Sheet reconciliations, accrual and cash basis, operating expenditures and capital expenditures.
17. Working knowledge of, and the ability to apply, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) within the property management and real estate industry.
18. Other duties as assigned
19. Cross train with other positions in the Department
20. Assists with other functions and projects as requested
Knowledge/Skills and Experience
To perform this job successfully, individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with high quality output and few errors. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Education and/or Experience - Associates degree or equivalent, and at least three years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Skills - Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write complex correspondence and present financial information in a logical format. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations, to clients, other employees or others outside of the organization..
- Equipment Utilized - Computers including dual monitors, telephone, adding and postage machine
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Mathematical and Reasoning Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions. Ability to retain information and to apply other knowledge to new situations for problem solving. Ability to resolve problems involving multiple variables in non-standardized situations.
- Computer Operations - Requires an intermediate knowledge of computer systems including accounting software, Excel, Word, Outlook and windows. Property management software systems a plus.
Excellent benefits package includes:
- Health, Dental, Vision & EAP benefits after 30 days
- Matching 401K
- Generous PTO/Sick that begins accruing upon hire
- Mass Transit/Parking allowance